Maximum packet length < 180 bytes?

This is a technical discussion area for easy Radio products.

Moderators: radiomadeeasy, WirelessMike

Maximum packet length < 180 bytes?

Postby ias62 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi,
We're using eRA400TRS modules in an embedded Linux system, and we can manage to send EasyRadio commands to initialise the modules and then send short data packets from one system the other and get responses. So far so good, very simple to set up and get going.

However, when we try to send maximum size (180 byte) data packets the modules seem to hang on the transmit and need to be restarted. Bizarrely this seems to occur even when using the development Connect2 board from a Windows PC and a terminal emulator so we don't think this is something in our Linux application.

If we try to send 170 bytes then everything is fine, but 171 bytes causes this hang.

Are we missing something here? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Ian
ias62

Re: Maximum packet length < 180 bytes?

Postby Antman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi Ian,

I have never seen this before.

Can I ask what firmware version the eRA400TRS read back with when you send the ER_CMD#T3 command?

Thanks

Richard
Antman
Administrator

Postby Antman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Ian,

That version of firmware should be ok, however you can try two things.

Firstly you can update the firmware on the module to the latest which is available from our website using the easyRadio Companion software program (Windows OS required),

http://www.lprs.co.uk/assets/media/down ... 3.6.30.zip

The second thing will be to update the firmware on the USB board which can be done by following the instructions on this document and using our Bootloader program.

http://www.lprs.co.uk/assets/media/Boot ... %201.1.pdf

Connect 2 development kit data sheet is here http://www.lprs.co.uk/assets/media/eRA% ... 2_V1.0.pdf

Let me know how you get on.

regards
Richard
Antman
Administrator

Postby ias62 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Richard,

This is very strange, and I'm sure we must be missing something here!

We've tried updating the firmware to the latest version as suggested but it makes no difference and we still see the same problem.

Just to be clear, we appear to be able to "crash" the eRA400TRS module using the EasyRadio application and the USB board, so nothing from our project, just by sending 171 bytes of data from the application. The module then stops responding to any commands e.g. get baud rate and we have to power cycle the USB board to get it to respond again.

According to the datasheet the module should be able to receive 3(?) packets worth of data from the UART interface before it asserts flow control, so this behaviour makes no sense to me. We're working round it for the moment using a 170 byte packet size but I'd like to understand what is going wrong here!

Ian
ias62

Postby Antman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Ian,

Ok, It does sound odd.

I know you have probably tried this but have you swapped around the USB boards and tried sending 180 bytes from the other module?.

If you have tried this then we need both the modules and USB boards being checked by our R&D team in Warrington.

Regards

Richard
Antman
Administrator

Postby ias62 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 am

Hi Richard,

Yes, we've tried various different combinations without joy. Unfortunately we're running out of time so I'll contact you direct about getting the modules swapped out

Ian
ias62

Postby Antman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi Ian,

I think the best thing is to send them back to us and we will check them. It is an unusual issue.

Thanks for your patience.

regards

Richard
Antman
Administrator

Return to easyRadio