Connec2 pi Communication

This is a technical discussion area for easy Radio products.

Moderators: radiomadeeasy, WirelessMike

Connec2 pi Communication

Postby kofiO » Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 am

I ordered another set of connect2 pi devices. I am not able to get any of the old pair to communicate successfully with any of the new pair.
My code has device initialization steps that set the baude rate, power and channel to the same values for any of the devices i use.

The new pair are able to communicate with each other.

If it makes any difference, i set the following (i do use the full command of course)
UART Baud rate: U4
Power: P0
Channel: C0

Am I doing something wrong? Is this not supported (which i doubt)?
I thought once you transmit on the same frequency channel any other device listening on that channel should be able to receive it. Unless there's data encryption/decryption specific to each pair.

I want each of the devices to be able to broadcast data and it be received by the other three devices. Would appreciate your advice :)
kofiO
RadioHead

Re: Connec2 pi Communication

Postby Antman » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Have you changed any of the parameters?. I presume you can interrogate all the PI Dongles via the UART through your program or with our WIN OS easyRadio companion software program.

Things to check:-

Are they all the same frequency type? 433Mhz (ERA400TRS can has a IV marked on the side) or 868MHz (ERA900TRS can has a IX marked on the side)
If they are all the same frequency type you can check the parameters.
Power level send command ER_CMD#P?
UART send ER_CMD#U?
Channel send ER_CMD#C?
Did the changes you sent actually happen?. Default settings for ERA are:- P9, U4 (19200), C0 (433.230MHz)

Please try the above commands and let us know your results.

Richard
Antman
Administrator

Postby kofiO » Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks Richard.

First check:
All the devices have XI marked on the side. Also noticed that the old pair have this inscription on the PCB, "RADiuS-Dv1.1" whereas the new pair has this inscription "RADiuS-DSMA" .

Second Check:
The following commands returned these corresponding results for both old and new devices
ER_CMD#P? >> ER_CMD#P9
ER_CMD#U? >> ER_CMD#U4

ER_CMD#C? returned ER_CMD#C0 for the -DSMA devices. The same command kept crashing my program with the -Dv1.1 devices plugged in :(.
I tried to send this command again after letting the program run to its command prompt and got this interesting results below (you usually get something back, like RECEIVED Data: ER_CMD#XX, - right after you send a command):
SEND >> ER_CMD#C?
SEND >> ER_CMD#C?
SEND >> ER_CMD#P?
RECEIVED Data: ER_CMD#C124 ER_CMD#124 ER_CMD#P9
My guess is "ER_CMD#C124" was the response to the 2 ER_CMD#C? i sent before.

Thought also to mention that i varied the frequency channel for the -DSMA device from C0 through C9 with the -Dv1.1 left on it's default channel but was unable to get any communication between these two devices. I even tried setting the channel to C124 :) but communication was still unsuccessful.

Another interesting finding was that for the -Dv1.1 devices, keeping one's channel at the default and changing the other's from C0 through C9 didn't affect communication between the devices in any way? This was the case with the -DSMA devices as well.

Any insight into this behaviour? Would i have to upgrade firmware for the -Dv1.1 devices?

Cheers
kofiO
RadioHead

Postby srikanth.ganji » Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 am

Hi ,
Can you please check on what bandwidth they are on.
ER_CMD#B?... MAke sure all devices are on same bandwidth.
And please make sure channels match on all devices.
Set ER_CMD#C0 for now for all devices. And check if they communicate.

Does old two devices communicate with each other?

If nothing works ,Can you please try reset the module with Pin3 connecting to ground before powering module. And if it still doesnt work try reflashing the firmware. But please let me know how you go on. Thanks.
srikanth.ganji
Administrator

Postby Antman » Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I notice the C124 could be the channel that your Dv1.1 dongles are set to. The fact that when you change one of the dongles channel to 1 through to 9 and still communication works tells me that the channel isn't changing. Checking the channel and bandwidth will let you know if both pairs of dongles are on the same channels and bandwidths.

As my colleague said check the bandwidth by sending ER_CMD#B? For standard default Bandwidth they should read back B3 (100KHz bandwidth)

You can also check the firmware by sending the ER_CMD#T3 command. They should read either V3.6.27 , V3.6.29 or V3.6.30
Antman
Administrator

Postby kofiO » Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Hello,
I checked the bandwidth and the read back, as Richard suggested, was B3 and band plan of b0 for all four dongles.

The Dv1.1 dongles are able to communicate between themselves but there's still no cross-communication between any of the Dv1.1 dongles and the DSMA ones. Even after initializing baudrate, channel, bandwidth and power to the same settings (U4, C0, B3 and P9 respectively) for any of the dongles that i used.

Could not get the firmware version though as the read back after sending ER_CMD#T3 was the same as the command i entered. Would there be a different command to get the firmware version?

I have not attempted updating firmware for the Dv1.1 dongles yet.

I quite agree with Richard that perhaps the channel did not change even after setting it to a different value.

I've noticed that even after setting the various parameters for the dongles, sending any command with a "?", eg ER_CMD#P?, returns the default value even though it was initialized to a different one.

Is this behaviour expected?
kofiO
RadioHead

Postby srikanth.ganji » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am

Dear kofiO,
Are you sending 'ACK' command after each command. For eg: After sending 'ER_CMD#T3' you should get the reply same . Then you will have to send 'ACK' to get module version. As in Easy Radio companion software, it send ACK command in the background after each command. But since you are sending commands through your code, i think you are missing that. Please can you confirm.Thanking you
srikanth.ganji
Administrator

Postby Antman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Kofi,

Just to confirm what Srikanth said, when you send the ER command to the V1.1 dongles do you follow it up with a ACK

For example send ER_CMD#T3 wait 20mS and then send ACK

Regards

Richard
Antman
Administrator

Postby kofiO » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 am

Hi Srikanth and Richard,
Sending an "ACK" did the trick. The dongles are able to communicate with one another. Data broadcast from one is received by the others (i used just three of the dongles for this).

I used to send an "ACK" before but i stopped because it got transmitted whenever i sent it so thought it wasn't an expected command. Whenever an "ACK" was sent via the companion it received an "ACK" in response. I guess i was expecting the same behaviour when i did it through my code.
It turns out for an "ACK" to be interpreted instead if transmitted it has to be sent relatively shortly after a command is sent.

Below is what i got after sending T3 command:

Code: Select all
SEND    >> ER_CMD#T3
RECEIVED Data:  ER_CMD#T3

SEND    >> ACK
SEND    >> ER_CMD#U?
RECEIVED Data: ERA900TRS V3.6.27ER_CMD#U4

Thought to mention that i tried to vary the channels on the dongles and communication was not successful unless the channels matched (which was expected :) ).

Thanks for your help.
kofiO
RadioHead

Postby Antman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Kofi,

Great that all is now working as should be. Just so you know when sending an ER command to change a parameter like the channel or frequency is it important to send the ACK afterwards. There is no time limit, however the ACK does need to come after the command, anything else will drop the request and treat as data as you pointed out.
Antman
Administrator

Postby kofiO » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification Richard.
About sending an ACK, i definitely must have been something wrong before.
kofiO
RadioHead

Return to easyRadio