Connect2 pi Drivers for Raspberry Pi

This is a technical discussion area for easy Radio products.

Moderators: radiomadeeasy, WirelessMike

Connect2 pi Drivers for Raspberry Pi

Postby kofiO » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 pm

I am running Soft-float Debian “wheezy” on my raspberry pi and have been trying to get appropriate drivers for easy radio connect2 pi device to be recognised by raspberry pi.
Have used "apt-get" facility to download some ftdi drivers but the my connect2 pi device is still not recognised by the os.
Also downloaded FTDI VCP drivers for Linux from the FTDI website directly. Running the "make" command to install the drivers throws an error "linux/init.h: No such file or directory"

Did download drivers for my Mac OS from the same website and was able to get Mac OS to recognise the device afterwards. A side issue, excuse my ignorance but what command do you use to get connect2 pi to transmit a text as most of the commands i saw from the Easy Radio quick start guide was for changing parameters of the device? I used a python program to communicate with the device - if it makes any difference.

Is there an easier or better way to get my raspberry pi to recognise this device (i.e. the appropriate driver(s) and how to install it(them))?

Any help would be much appreciated.
kofiO
RadioHead

Re: Connect2 pi Drivers for Raspberry Pi

Postby mrshmee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Kofio,
For sending text or data, no command is needed, just transmit up the uart (or comm port) and it will send.

Regarding the drivers, please visit this page http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm
The Rasberry Pi for ARM drivers are downloadable there.
Regards
Mrshmee :D
mrshmee
Administrator

Postby kofiO » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks for the help and for the quick response Mrshmee. :D
Have downloaded the drivers and installed them (following the instructions in the ReadMe file).

Running the EEPROM "read" example that comes with the package finds the device, which is a positive step (well, after I've unloaded the wrong drivers the kernel loads after plugging in the device). I'm not able to find the port for the device to use in my python program even after unloading the wrong drivers though :(.

Will see if i can figure out a way to get the right drivers automatically loaded after plugging in the device and get a corresponding port to use in my program.
kofiO
RadioHead

Postby kofiO » Sat May 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Thought to mention that i switched to Raspbian "wheezy" OS on my raspberry pi.
The Connect2 pi device was recognized and had a port (/dev/ttyUSB0) assigned for it automatically. I didn't have to manually download and install any drivers for it. Impressive!
Have been able to communicate successfully from the raspberry pi with the other pair of the device plugged into a laptop running windows 7. Used a simple pyhton program on both platforms.
kofiO
RadioHead

Postby Antman » Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for posting your solution.
Antman
Antman
Administrator

Return to easyRadio