eRA Connect2 Pi

This is a technical discussion area for easy Radio products.

Moderators: radiomadeeasy, WirelessMike

eRA Connect2 Pi

Postby radiomadeeasy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Utilising proprietary LPRS easyRadio technology operating in the 868MHz (UK & Europe) & 915MHz (US) Industrial Scientific & Medical (ISM) bands the Connect2Pi USB wireless ‘dongle’ provides a simple ‘wireless bridge’ between Raspberry Pi (Pi2Pi), a Raspberry Pi and a PC or any device that supports USB serial communications.

The easyRadio based USB device provides considerably greater range and consumes less power than similar Wi-Fi or Bluetooth dongles operating in the overcrowded 2.4GHz bands.

Frequency, bandwidth, power output and data rate can (optionally) be configured to allow multiple devices to communicate free from interference from each other and any other ISM band devices.

http://www.lprs.co.uk/easy-radio/era-connect2-pi.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
radiomadeeasy
radiomadeeasy
Administrator

eRA Connect2 Pi running on Mac OS X 10.8.2

Postby Antman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Dear LPRS Support,

I have a pair of eRA-Connect2-Pi which I purchased from Saelig. When I plug them into my Mac (running OS X 10.8.2), they show up as /dev/usbserial-AH01N2HF and /dev/usbserial-AN02N2I2. I can connect to the tty ports with the minicom utility. However, I can't find any documentation on your site about what to do next. I figure it is there, I just need help finding it. I tried connecting at 19,200 baud, but got not response. What is their default serial data rate and what is the command set (hopefully it uses ASCII characters)?

I do not have access to a Windows machine, so can't run your Windows utility.

But given that you support Linux, and OS X and Linux are similar at the OS system call level, I figure there must be a way.

I also have a an Adruino sheild, the ERA-Arudino-S900. I can download Arduino boards from my Mac, so if using this shield can somehow get me started, I'm open to that path.
Antman
Administrator

Re: eRA Connect2 Pi on Mac OS X 10.8.2

Postby Antman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:50 pm

To use the modules it would be easiest to refer to the ERA900TRS data sheet which gives you the commands should you decide to modify any of the default settings.

The modules are default at 19200 and it should be a straight forward as sending a string via your normal terminal program. It should automatically send it over the air and be received by another ERA900TRS whether in Arduino or Connect2Pi board. We are working on a tool for x platform but it is not ready yet.

We have done some work on a library for Ardiuno which should help to set up and use the shield without learning all the timings etc. It is the first version and I think it may have some minor naming conventions wrong, but it should be simple enough to set up.

It was originally written using the Mega Arduino board with extra UARTs, but is easily modified in the header file for the standard serial with a #define.
Antman
Administrator

Re: eRA Connect2 Pi on Mac OS X 10.8.2

Postby Antman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. I got my pair of Easy Radio transceivers working this morning. Here are the steps that made it work:

Download and install the FTDI drivers for OS X on each system from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Plug in the LPRS transceivers.

Find the device file name on each system with this: ls -l /dev/tty.usbserial-*

Connect to the transceivers with this: screen /dev/tty.usbserial-<rest of device filename> 19200

Typing on one makes the outer LED flash on the sending transceiver and the inner (closer to the USB connector) LED flash on the receiving port.

I was unable to see any result from the command set (e.g. ER_CMD#U?). But fortunately, unlike other, not-so-easy radios, the default settings work.

Both of my Macs are running Mountain Lion (10.8.2, though I doubt that matters). One is a recent iMac, the other is an 11" MacBook Air.

Perhaps you could put these simple steps on your web site and save the next Mac user the trouble of figuring them out. I know you are working on Mac software, but until then, I think this would be helpful. And if your forum were up, I'd be happy to post these instructions there.

Thanks again for your timely and helpful reply.
Antman
Administrator

Return to easyRadio